Welcome to Claverton Parish Council

Next Council Meeting : 11th January 2017 at St Mary's.  7pm Start.

Minutes of the last meetings: Minutes

Welcome to the Claverton Parish Council's website.  This website provides information about all aspects of the Parish Council's job of representing the interests of the Claverton community.  In addition information about local services (e.g. buses), amenities and organisations in the Claverton area is provided through links to external websites located under the Notice Board tab above.

Claverton is a small village and Civil Parish about 2 miles (3 km) east of Bath in Somerset, England. The Parish (population: 149 - 2001 census) falls within the unitary authority of Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), and is located in an exceptional rural landscape setting on the western slopes of the Limpley Stoke Valley, all of which lies within Green Belt and the Cotswolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Claverton Village is situated in the Claverton Conservation Area (designated in 1981), the western boundary of which coincides with the western boundary of the Parish and forms part of the boundary of the City of Bath World Heritage Site.

The Conservation Area also includes The American Museum in Britain, which is housed in Claverton Manor - a house designed by the architect Jeffry Wyatt and built ca. 1820 on the hill overlooking the village. It was in the grounds of the Manor that Winston Churchill made his first political speech on 26th July 1897. This Neoclassical, Grade 1 listed building replaced the original Jacobean manor which stood in the village, but was demolished by the then owner. 

The River Avon and the Kennet & Avon Canal both run through the Parish. Also notable is the Claverton Pumping Station (built in 1810 by engineer John Rennie) which used the power of the River Avon to lift water (now electrically) from the river up to the Kennet and Avon Canal. It is a Grade II listed building.

Claverton Parish has no shop, post office, public house or school. In the village is the church of St Mary the Virgin (Diocese of Bath & Wells), which first appears in records in 1250. The churchyard contains the mausoleum of entrepreneur and philanthropist Ralph Allen (1693 - 1764), whose vision made possible the building of Georgian Bath and whose stone mines provided the soft yellow limestone for which the city is famous.

Claverton is a founder member of the Valley Parishes Alliance (VPA), which comprises nine parish councils along the Avon and Limpley Stoke Valley, east of Bath.

You are here: Home